Skip to main content

Trainings I loved

I distinctly remember the first training I loved. Perhaps it was on day 1 or day 4 as a management trainee. It was a full day session and run by this very friendly gentleman. I don’t recall the topics that we discussed that day nor do I recall the whole objective of it, but it did make us all feel very good. The exercises they made us do and the way it was structured all made for some really good “feel good” factor. As management trainee, I really thought, I had arrived – as did the others in our batch. And it was done, unconventionally for us at that time – which has now become the new conventional. We were used to classroom seating – this one had conference room seating. We were used to dull drab presentations, this one blew our minds away. And I remember the facilitator had great personality – he could build rapport in an instant and all of us connected with him. There were group exercises and de-briefs and it was a challenge for all us management trainees to outdo the other. Overall, a great learning experience.

The second training which I loved was the “first time managers” training in a very well known global software services company. It was a “rites of passage” as well – and we will cover that at some point. But they way it was done – as an outbound training is still fresh in my mind. From then on, I have been to many an outbound and offsite training, but even today, I would rate this particular training higher than the rest. So, what made this different and what keeps it so different even today? The first thing was the fact that the duration was about a couple of days. The second was that the training was quite intensive. The third was that it was quite experiential – there were more self learnings than the things that the instructor taught us. We had travelled out as a group and came back as a group. The bonding that the group had was amazing – something I have not come across ever. (This was one aspect that I felt could have been better tapped, but that’s for another day.)

The third training I distinctly remember was this training conducted by an individual (actually there were two like this at separate points in time). This was a fairly technical training and the trainer was professional and extremely knowledgeable and had great facilitation skills. I have not come across this deadly combination ever after. Either people have knowledge but cannot really share or facilitate. There are others who are great communicators but lack in depth or the ability to talk to the trainees “in their language”. And there are some who are just professionals who know a narrow interpretation of their worlds and are unwilling to look beyond it.

So, the first two trainings were different for me at that time, but the third example of normal classroom trainings completed the circle of what memorable trainings are all about.

Great facilitation, time commitment, group bonding, challenges and self learning - have I missed something?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The man who saved Pumpelsdrop

This was a story we had in college if I am not mistaken. Perhaps it was in school, but a delightful story it was. The story goes somewhat like this ( reproduced from here ), but the college version we had was slightly different from this.  I t was a dull, gloomy and a depressing morning in a town named Pumpelsdrop in northern England. The Great Depression had brought all the businesses to a standstill. The bored automobile dealer was spending time alone, as usual. But, this seems to be an unusual morning as an odd entity (customer) appeared on the horizon. A man in a bright suit walks up to the dealer and says, "I need to buy a Rolls Royce Phantom II. We have a business conference coming up and I need to impress my customers". Then proceeds to pay 10% of the deal with a single check for 2000 pounds. The rest he says will pay when he takes the delivery.   The auto dealer was stunned. He was delighted to hear that someone is holding a business conference of some kind and

The Mintzberg triangle

At a recent training, someone spoke about the Mintzberg triangle. I located it here . Image from that page reproduced here. The page linked above has a better explanation of diagram above, but what intrigued me was that the triangle exists for practically anything. The facilitator referred to this in the context of facilitation. Of how facilitation has science, craft and art to it. That is so true,  I thought. Worth a thought! Need to read of Mintzberg though...

Gamified Presentation Skills

Creating a tool or a game or an aid for presentation skills has been on my mind for a long time now. As someone who has developed, designed and delivered many versions of presentation skills and slide making skills, this has been a question in my mind. And I thought of something fairly obvious - a deck of cards (Yes, I am a huge fan of card and board games) to help people as they work on their presentation. But when I looked this up, there seemed to be a few products that serve this need. And so it went. There did not seem to be any new value addition that I could bring. And a few weeks ago, I attended a session where we had to evaluate a speaker and there was no feedback for the speaker. The insight for me was that many a time giving feedback is 'difficult' I suppose. The issue with feedback is - that most often the only way to do it at the 'Point of Presentation' is with paper - And many a time, people just cursorily fill out the sheets with any random number